Netflix series "Squid Game" accused of plagiarism of part of Japanese movie "As the Gods Will".
South Korean survival drama "Squid Game", which premiered on Netflix 17 Sept., is accused of plagiarism by some.
O serialu Squid Game: Written and directed by Hwang Dong-hyuk ("Fortress", "Miss Grandma"), The nine-episode series tells the story of a group of heroes who risk their lives, to win 45,6 billion won (38,5 million dollars) in a mystery game of survival.
- Actors Lee Jung-jae star in Squid Game ("The sea", „The Thieves”), Hae-soo Park („Prison Playbook”, „Time to Hunt”) i model Jung Ho-yeon.
- The plot of the series follows the theme of "Killer Game", a popular line used in popular media, in which characters are forced to compete in a dangerous competition, often ending in death.
- Squid Game received positive reviews from Rotten Tomatoes , getting the collected result 100% critics and 89% audience score.
Alleged plagiarism scenes: Some social media users have noted the similarities between “Squid Game” a “As The Gods Will”, popular Japanese film with 2014 Year, in which there are also some deadly games.
- One of the Twitter users took notice, that the first game in both titles had the same rules and penalties for players. In "As The Gods Will" the Japanese game "daruma" was used, while in "Squid Game"Red Light was used, Green Light”, which is also a children's game played in Korea called "Hibiscus Flowers Have Bloomed".
- In both games, one "seeker" faces a wall or a tree for a short time, then suddenly turns away, to catch the player, which is moving. In Squid Game, people caught moving were shot, while in "As The Gods Will" their heads exploded.
- The user has posted pictures of similar scenes from both videos, including close-ups of giant dolls, countdown clock and stage, in which the figure dove in the last second.
- Apparently a different game, in which participants jumped on glass plates , was inspired by the manga version of "As The Gods Will".
Respond to criticism: At the Squid Game press conference, Hwang referred to the alleged similarities, saying, that he wrote the script a few years before "As The Gods Will", which was created in the beginning 2010 Year, informed NME .
- "That's true, that[the first game is] similar, but then there are no similarities, ”he said. "I've been working on [Squid Game] In 2008 i 2009 Year, and at that time the first game [she was already] fixed as "Red Light Green Light". "
- The creator of the video added, that although declaring ownership of the story was something, what was undecided for him: "If I had to say it, I'd say, that I did it first ".
- In an interview with the Korea Herald shared, that he became fascinated with the survival genre after reading many comics. “Trying to make a Korean version, I started planning a job in 2008 Year, and I finished the script in 2009 year."
- He revealed, that he was forced to shelve the script due to lack of interest, until it got picked up as a Netflix series about a decade later.