Academy of Saint-Luc

Academy of Saint-Luc, institution established. 1649 in Paris by the guild of painters and sculptors (Mastery of Painters and Sculptors of the City and the Suburbs of Paris) as competition for the royal academy, created in 1648; the first director was S.. Vouet. In 1651 The academy was included in the Académie Royale de Peinture et de Sculpture, and it was only after long efforts that it was possible to resume 1705 its activities. The Academy's existence was finally ended by a royal decree from 1777.